Re: [NANOG] fair warning: less than 1000 days left to IPv4 exhaustion

  • From: Deepak Jain
  • Date: Fri May 02 17:53:36 2008

> ppps. Or not if you don't have any kind of IPv6 plan.  Sorry, sorry...

Does it take most network operators more than 1000 days to make an IPv6
plan and start implementing it?

I suppose there is always some network running obsolete gear out
somewhere, but their upstream guy may provide them something to avoid
the pain (like reclaimed v4 space) or a gateway or other service.

I guess another way to say it is... if you can afford for the planning
and implementation to have so many layers of sign-off and buy-in it
takes years, you can afford the costs, in everything else, to implement it.

Not to mention, piggyback off of all the published BCPs, improved tools
and software, and other things that 2 more years will provide.

Deepak Jain
AiNET