Re: [NANOG] Comcast latency

  • From: Jim Popovitch
  • Date: Wed Apr 30 09:46:51 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Steven M. Bellovin <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 23:43:46 -0500
>  mack <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>  > Has anyone else noticed a significant increase in latency within
>  > Comcast's network?
>  >
>  On one quick test, it looks normal to me from my house.

Looks can sometimes be deceiving. ;-)  I've seen Comcast drop packets
left and right, but show 8Mbs/2Mbs on speed test sites.   Other times
I've seen the opposite, zero PL but extremely high latency (seconds,
double digits!)... all the while non-dynamic web pages (probably
cached upstream) loaded just fine.

Look, I've always been a big fan of Comcast.... but at this point I
suspect they have just about over-engineered their network.

-Jim P.