Re: [NANOG] would ip6 help us safeing energy ?

  • From: Marc Manthey
  • Date: Sun Apr 27 17:50:18 2008

>> i am not a math genious and i am talking about for example serving
>>
>> 10.000 unicast streams and
>> 10.000 multicast streams
>>
>> would the multicast streams more efficient  or lets say , would you
>> need more machines to server 10.000 unicast streams ?

hello all ,

> For 10000 concurrent unicast streams you'd need not just more servers.

  thanks for the partizipation on  this topic ,  i was "theoreticly "
speaking and this was actually what i wanted to hear ;)

> You'd need a significantly different network infrastructure than
> something that would have to handle only a single multicast stream.
> But supporting multicast isn't without it's own problems either.
> Even the destination networks would have to consider implementing
> IGMP and/or MLD snooping in their layer 2 devices to obtain maximum
> benefit from multicast.

i was reading some papers about multicast activity on 9/11  and it was
interesting to read that it  just worked even when most
of the "big player " sites  went offline, so this gives me another
approach  for emergency scenarios.

<http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0110/ppt/eubanks.ppt>

<http://multicast.internet2.edu/workshops/illinois/internet2-multicast-workshop-31-july-2-august-2006-1-overview.ppt

> Akamai has built a Content Delivery Network (CDN) because they do not
> have to rely on any specific ISP or any specific IP network
> functionality.
> If you go with IP Multicast, or MPLS P2MP(Point to MultiPoint) then
> you
> are limited to only using ISPs who have implemented the right
> protocols
> and who peer using those protocols.

so this is similar to a "wallet garden " and not what we really want ,
but i was clear about that this is actually the only idea to implement
a "new" technologie into an existing infrastructure.

regards and sorry for beeing a bit offtopic

Marc

<www.lettv.de>