Re: [NANOG] DWDM More Details

  • From: John Lee
  • Date: Fri Apr 25 13:55:16 2008

alex,

In your talk, I agree that the CAN with your CWDM is not that expensive but you also mention that the tighter DWDM with long haul optics is expensive ie "Everybody knows how to do (active) xWDM by giving a lot of money to (insert vendor of choice]:"

When you talk about the tighter itu spacing for "real" DWDM and the lasers with fiber that can handle the power, jitter, chromatic dispersion et al. the optics you mention will not handle that.

We have all duct taped optical systems on campus for the lab "and across the state of Georgia" see the Peach Net map.

What is the largest number of lambdas you have actually run on a single fiber with your duct tape system and how bad was the optical cross talk?

john