Re: [Nanog] ATT VP: Internet to hit capacity by 2010

  • From: Joe Greco
  • Date: Tue Apr 22 09:45:00 2008

> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Joe Greco <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > As far as I am concerned the killer application for IP multicast is
> > > *NOT* video, it's market data feeds from NYSE, NASDAQ, CBOT, etc.
> >
> > You can go compare the relative successes of Yahoo! Finance and YouTube.
> >
> > While it might be nice to multicast that sort of data, it's a relative
> > trickle of data, and I'll bet that the majority of users have not only
> > not visited a market data site this week, but have actually never done
> > so.
>
> As if most financial (and other mega-dataset) data was on consumer Web
> sites. Think pricing feeds off stock exchange back-office systems.

Oh, you got my point.  Good.  :-)

This isn't a killer application for IP multicast, at least not on the
public Internet.  High volume bits that are not busily traversing a hundred
thousand last-mile residential connections are probably not the bits that
are going to pose a serious challenge for network operators, or at least,
that's my take on things.

... JG