Re: [Nanog] Cogent Router dropping packets

  • From: David Coulson
  • Date: Tue Apr 22 08:54:01 2008

manolo wrote:
> Well it had sounded like I was in the minority and should keep my mouth
> shut. But here goes. On several occasions the peer that would advertise
> our routes would drop and with that the peer with the full bgp tables
> would drop as well.
That doesn't sound like the problem has anything to do with their
multihop-eBGP configuration - It just appears that whatever you were
directly connected to was flaking out. If they had moved you to a
directly connected BGP session and it all worked, that would be one
argument, but you also moved from a junky 3550 or something to the GSR
in the process. I'd argue that if the switch could handle full tables
and you just had a single session, you would probably have experienced
the same issue.

I've ran with both direct and multihop with Cogent, and I honestly never
noticed any difference in stability. I hear what you're saying, and I
think you have a valid argument in some respects, but I just think the
BGP problem is a symptom, not a cause.