Re: [Nanog] ATT VP: Internet to hit capacity by 2010

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Tue Apr 22 08:10:07 2008

On Apr 21, 2008, at 9:35 PM, Frank Bulk - iNAME wrote:

> I've found it interesting that those who do Internet TV (re)define
> HD in a
> way that no one would consider HD anymore except the provider. =)

The FCC did not appear to set a bit rate specification for HD
Television.

The ATSC standard (A-53 part 4) specifies aspect ratios and pixel
formats and frame rates, but not
bit rates.

So AFAICT, no redefinition is necessary. If you are doing (say) 720 x
1280 at 30 fps, you
can call it HD, regardless of your bit rate. If you can find somewhere
where the standard
says otherwise, I would like to know about it.

> In the news recently has been some complaints about Comcast's HD TV.
> Comcast has been (selectively) fitting 3 MPEG-2 HD streams in a 6 MHz
> carrier (38 Mbps = 12.6 Mbps) and customers aren't happy with that.
> I'm not
> sure how the average consumer will see 1.5 Mbps for HD video as
> sufficient
> unless it's QVGA.

Well, not with a 15+ year old standard like MPEG-2. (And, of course,
HD is a set of
pixel formats that specifically does not include QVGA.)

I have had video professionals go "wow" at H.264 dual pass 720 p
encodings at 2 Mbps, so it can be done. The real
question is, how often do you see artifacts ? And, how much does the
user care ? Modern encodings
at these bit rates tend to provide very good encodings of static
scenes. As the on-screen action increases, so
does the likelihood of artifacts, so selection of bit rate depends I
think on user expectations and the typical content being down.
(As an aside, I see lots of artifacts on my at-home Cable HD, but I
don't know their bandwidth allocation.)

Regards
Marshall