Re: [Nanog] ATT VP: Internet to hit capacity by 2010

  • From: Simon Lockhart
  • Date: Mon Apr 21 15:59:19 2008

On Mon Apr 21, 2008 at 02:43:14PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> You're a little low.  ATSC (the over-the-air digital broadcast format)
> is 19 megabits per second or 8.55 gigabytes per hour.

I think you're too high there! MPEG2 SD is around 4-6Mbps, MPEG4 SD is around
2-4Mbps, MPEG4 HD is anywhere from 8 to 20Mbps, depending on how much wow
factor the broadcaster is trying to give.

A typical satellite TV multiplex is 20-30Mbps for 4-8 channels, depending
on how much the broadcaster pays for higher bitrate, and thus higher quality.

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart | * Sun Server Colocation * ADSL * Domain Registration *
   Director    |    * Domain & Web Hosting * Internet Consultancy *