Re: [Nanog] ATT VP: Internet to hit capacity by 2010

  • From: David Coulson
  • Date: Mon Apr 21 15:22:41 2008

Steve Gibbard wrote:
> Maybe I just don't spend enough time around the "leave the TV on all day"
> demographic.  Is that a realistic number?  Is there something bigger than
> HDTV video that ATT expects people to start downloading?

I would not be surprised if many households watch more than 10hrs of TV
per day. My trusty old series 2 TiVo often records 5-8hrs of TV per day,
even if I don't watch any of it.

Right now I can get 80 or so channels of basic cable, and who knows how
many of Digital Cable/Satellite for as many TVs as I can fit in my house
without the Internet buckling under the pressure. I assume AT&T is just
saying "We use this pipe for TV and Internet, hence all TV is now
considered Internet traffic"? How many people are REALLY going to be
pulling 10hrs of HD or even SD TV across their Internet connection,
rather than just taking what is Multicasted from a Satellite base
station by their TV service provider? Is there something significant
about AT&T's model (other than the VDSL over twisted pair, rather than
coax/fiber to the prem) that makes them more afraid than Comcast,
Charter or Cox?

Maybe I'm just totally missing something - Wouldn't be the first time.
Why would TV of any sort even touch the 'Internet'. And, no, YouTube is
not "TV" as far as I'm concerned.