Re: [Nanog] ATT VP: Internet to hit capacity by 2010

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Apr 21 12:18:21 2008

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008, Paul Ferguson wrote:
>> I looked around for text or video from Mr. Cicconi at the "Westminster
>> eForum" but can't find anything.
>>
>> www.westminsterforumprojects.co.uk/eforum/default.aspx
>>

> For what it's worth, I agree with Ryan Paul's summary of the issues
> here:

The rest of the story?

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/services/2008-04-20-internet-broadband-traffic-jam_N.htm

   By 2010, the average household will be using 1.1 terabytes (roughly
   equal to 1,000 copies of the Encyclopedia Britannica) of bandwidth a
   month, according to an estimate by the Internet Innovation Alliance in
   Washington, D.C. At that level, it says, 20 homes would generate more
   traffic than the entire Internet did in 1995.

How many folks remember InternetMCI's lack of capacity in the 1990's
when it actually needed to stop installing new Internet connections
because InternetMCI didn't have any more capacity for several months.