Re: [Nanog] Cogent Router dropping packets

  • From: David Coulson
  • Date: Mon Apr 21 12:03:49 2008

Joe Greco wrote:
> For those unfamiliar, Cogent has a system where you set up an EBGP peering
> with the Cogent router you're connected to, for the purposes of announcing
> your routes into Cogent.  However, these are typically smaller, aggregation
> class routers, and do not handle full tables - so you don't get your routes
> from that router.  To get a full table FROM Cogent, you need to set up an
> EBGP multihop session with them, to their nearest full-table router.  I
> believe they actually do all their BGP connections in that manner.
Depends on the service you purchase. Fast Ethernet seems to be delivered
as eBGP-multihop (the first hop is just a L3 switch), however DS-3 is
handled as a single BGP session. I'm not sure if GigE or SONET services
are handled as multihop or not.

Probably all depends what hardware they have at each POP....