Re: [Nanog] ATT VP: Internet to hit capacity by 2010

  • From: Paul Wall
  • Date: Mon Apr 21 00:49:53 2008

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Tomas L. Byrnes <[email protected]> wrote:
> In my experience, ATT(SBC at that time) hit over its effective capacity
> (over 50% average utilization, and therefore no redundancy) around 2001.

Sounds like you're talking about 7018, not 7132 (SBC), and even 7018
is doing okay for capacity now that its high-traffic customers
(Comcast) are moving traffic elsewhere.

Do you have any specific data to share with the NANOG community
supporting of these claims?

> At least for clients I was working with, it was always evident that they
> didn't have enough capacity in any node to carry the traffic if they had
> a problem on any single upstream link. They also tended to manually
> handle routing decisions as opposed to letting the IGP handle it.

Likewise, I'd be interested in implementation specifics of how a
network of AT&T's caliber could implement backbone redundancy and TE
with static routing.  Any data you could share would be extremely
helpful.

Paul Wall