Re: Fwd: Problems sending mail from .mumble

  • From: Valdis . Kletnieks
  • Date: Mon Apr 14 13:19:56 2008

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 08:47:04 PDT, Eric Brunner-Williams said:

> The issue is whether "exe" in the root will break something. Rather than
> just ask for a few well-known suffixes, and forgetting some, and leaving
> out "ps" as it is already assigned to a ccTLD, I've picked on the
> MIME-TYPE set of labels.

Are you asking about actual MIME times 'text.plain', 'application.ps', and
so on, or are you asking about the labels that one popular operating system
sometimes uses to denote them, such as .exe, .ps and so on?  Some of us use
systems that don't insist on extensions - and the major one that does has
a history of doing so poorly (how many times have we seen something with
a name of foo.exe labelled an image/jpg and ending up executed rather than
displayed?)