Re: Yahoo Mail Update

  • From: Suresh Ramasubramanian
  • Date: Sun Apr 13 08:55:53 2008
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=Jr2rjAUEGYZnsl5ARsVoKg5xb/1r9gxjXhEUt1JOS8w=; b=TFjYA8hGfVS8gBZ3qdRbPgxvIEKYYN2KHUUXCoP28aT5Y3B+GRJlccat6B+uY7fgK2+22GQ85n2X/WYtVh9TvMcrjF6Dcdx3RXZXlEZmJbm69QHn9Cu4Jp57RYtRJ2bIZ8X5lW74o8yXSBbcKKdkgTMBUqGRfH5uc+rliwIwpws=

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 3:57 PM, Rob Szarka <[email protected]> wrote:
>  True, though some aspects of mail service are inextricably tied to broader
> networking issues, and thus participation here might still benefit them. But
> sadly Yahoo doesn't even seem to participate in more relevant forums, such
> as the spam-l list.

There are other lists, far more relevant than spam-l or nanae.

There's a way to present spam issues and mail filtering
operationally.. and I see it all the time at MAAWG meetings, just for
example.

The issue here is that 90% of the comments on a thread related to this
are from people who might be wizards at packet pushing, but cant
filter spam.  Or on mailserver lists you might find people who can
write sendmail.cf from scratch instead of building it from a .mc file
and still dont know about the right way to do spam filtering.

>  When what the larger companies do enables criminal behavior that impacts
> the very viability of the smaller companies through de factor DoS attacks,
> it's not funny at all. Yahoo, for example, has chosen a business model (free
> email with little to no verification) that inevitably leads to spam being
> originated from their systems. Why should they be able to shift the cost of
> their business model to me, just because I run a much smaller business?

So has hotmail, so have several of the domains that we host.

srs
--
Suresh Ramasubramanian ([email protected])