RE: Problems sending mail to yahoo?

  • From: Raymond L. Corbin
  • Date: Thu Apr 10 16:03:38 2008
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Hello,

I have had to tell some dedicated server clients that they will need to disable their forwards to Yahoo or add something like postini for those accounts that forward to Yahoo...It generally works...however Yahoo! for the past three months is now blocking entire /24's if a few IP's get complaints. They have the feedback loops however when you have a network with 175,000 IP addresses and you sign up for a feedback loop for them all they tend to flood your abuse desk with false positives, or forwarded spam. They also don't keep track of which IP's are getting the complaints for you to investigate after the block on the /24 so asking them won't help :(. This potentially means one customer could easily effect the other customer. They offer whitelisting, but this won't get you passed their blocks on the entire /24. They apparently will eventually accept the message because they aren't necessarily 'blocked' but they are 'depriortized' meaning they don't believe your IP is important enough to deliver the message at that time, so they want you to keep trying and when their servers are not 'busy' or 'over loaded' they will accept the message. (Paraphrased from conversations with their 'Bulk Mail Advocacies and Anti-Abuse manager.)

-Ray