Re: "Does TCP Need an Overhaul?" (internetevolution, via slashdot)

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Sat Apr 05 13:59:58 2008

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008, Kevin Day wrote:

On Apr 4, 2008, at 8:51 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:

What is really necessary is to detect just the flows that need to slow
down, and selectively discard just one packet at the right time, but
not more, per TCP cycle. Discarding too many will cause a flow to
stall -- we see this when Web access takes forever.

i wouldn't want to get in an argument with somebody who was smart and savvy
enough to invent packet switching during the year i entered kindergarden,
but, somebody told me once that keeping information on every flow was *not*
"inexpensive."  should somebody tell dr. roberts?

I suggest reading the excellent page: "High-Speed TCP Variants": http://kb.pert.geant2.net/PERTKB/TcpHighSpeedVariants

Enough material there to keep NANOG readers busy all weekend long.

-Hank