RE: cooling door

  • From: michael.dillon
  • Date: Wed Apr 02 06:21:31 2008

> I doubt we'll ever see the day when running gigabit across
> town becomes cost effective when compared to running gigabit
> to the other end of your server room/cage/whatever.

You show me the ISP with the majority of their userbase located
at the other end of their server room, and I'll concede the argument.

Last time I looked the eyeballs were across town so I already have
to deliver my gigabit feed across town. My theory is that you can
achieve some scaling advantages by delivering it from multiple locations
instead of concentrating one end of that gigabit feed in a big blob
data center where the cooling systems will fail within an hour or two
of a major power systems failure.

--Michael Dillon