Re: fiber switch for gig

  • From: Pekka Savola
  • Date: Wed Apr 02 01:47:58 2008

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, Andrew Staples wrote:
Speaking of running gig long distances, does anyone on the list have
suggestions on a >8 port L2 switch with fiber ports based on personal
experience?  Lots of 48 port gig switches have 2-4 fiber uplink ports, but
this means daisy-chains instead of hub/spoke.  Looking for a central switch
for a star topography to home fiber runs that is cost effective and works.

Nortel 5530 has 24x copper, 12x SFP and 2x10GE (XFP): http://www.nortel.com/ers5530

We don't have 5530's but we have good experience with 5510 as L2 device. In your case you may be looking for a larger number of SFP GE ports though.