Re: latency (was: RE: cooling door)

  • From: Frank Coluccio
  • Date: Sat Mar 29 21:14:48 2008

Please clarify. To which network element are you referring in connection with
extended lookup times? Is it the collapsed optical backbone switch, or the
upstream L3 element, or perhaps both?

Certainly, some applications will demand far less latency than others. Gamers and
some financial (program) traders, for instance, will not tolerate delays caused
by access provisions that are extended over vast WAN, or even large Metro,
distances. But in a local/intramural setting, where optical paths amount to no
more than a klick or so, the impact is almost negligible, even to the class of
users mentioned above. Worst case, run the enterprise over the optical model and
treat those latency-sensitive users as the one-offs that they actually are by
tying them into colos that are closer to their targets. That's what a growing
number of financial firms from around the country have done in NY and CHI colos,
in any case.

As for cost, while individual ports may be significantly more expensive in one
scenario than another, the architectural decision is seldom based on a single
element cost. It's the TCO of all architectural considerations that must be taken
into account. Going back to my original multi-story building example-- better
yet, let's use one of the forty-story structures now being erected at Ground Zero
as a case in point:

When all is said and done it will have created a minimum of two internal data
centers (main/backup/load-sharing) and a minimum of eighty (80) LAN enclosures,
with each room consisting of two L2 access switches (where each of the latter
possesses multiple 10Gbps uplinks, anyway), UPS/HVAC/Raised flooring,
firestopping, sprinklers, and a commitment to consume power for twenty years in
order to keep all this junk purring. I think you see my point.

So even where cost may appear to be the issue when viewing cost comparisons of
discreet elements, in most cases that qualify for this type of design, i.e. where
an organization reaches critical mass beyond so many users, I submit that it
really is not an issue. In fact, a pervasively-lighted environment may actually
cost far less.

Frank A. Coluccio
DTI Consulting Inc.
212-587-8150 Office
347-526-6788 Mobile

On Sat Mar 29 19:20 , Mikael Abrahamsson  sent: