RE: cooling door

  • From: Frank Coluccio
  • Date: Sat Mar 29 18:09:53 2008

Michael Dillon is spot on when he states the following (quotation below),
although he could have gone another step in suggesting how the distance
insensitivity of fiber could be further leveraged:

>The high speed fibre in Metro Area Networks will tie it all together
>with the result that for many applications, it won't matter where
>the servers are.

In fact, those same servers, and a host of other storage and network elements,
can be returned to the LAN rooms and closets of most commercial buildings from
whence they originally came prior to the large-scale data center consolidations
of the current millennium, once organizations decide to free themselves of the
100-meter constraint imposed by UTP-based LAN hardware and replace those LANs
with collapsed fiber backbone designs that attach to remote switches (which could
be either in-building or remote), instead of the minimum two switches on every
floor that has become customary today.

We often discuss the empowerment afforded by optical technology, but we've barely
scratched the surface of its ability to effect meaningful architectural changes.
The earlier prospects of creating consolidated data centers were once
near-universally considered timely and efficient, and they still are in many
respects. However, now that the problems associated with a/c and power have
entered into the calculus, some data center design strategies are beginning to
look more like anachronisms that have been caught in a whip-lash of rapidly
shifting conditions, and in a league with the constraints that are imposed by the
now-seemingly-obligatory 100-meter UTP design.

Frank A. Coluccio
DTI Consulting Inc.
212-587-8150 Office
347-526-6788 Mobile