RE: 10GE router resource

  • From: michael.dillon
  • Date: Wed Mar 26 10:04:30 2008

> Is there a multiport card out there on to which some of the
> forwarding responsibilities can be offloaded?  Perhaps the
> CPU doesn't need to see every packet that arrives on the machine.

Am I the only person who has heard of Google?

It didn't take me long to find this wiki page
http://www.bro-ids.org/wiki/index.php/ClusterFrontends
for an Opensource Intrusion Detection System that lists
various 10G cards for Linux and a couple of FPGA cards
so that you can roll your own ASICs. Anyway, this one
http://www.lewiz.com/talon3220.html
has two ports and claims to reach 8.8 Gbps with 1500 byte
packets.

People rolling their own router are not the only ones who
want to do 10G on Linux.

--Michael Dillon