RE: rack power question

  • From: Justin M. Streiner
  • Date: Mon Mar 24 21:54:36 2008

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Frank Bulk - iNAME wrote:

So perhaps the question isn't so much how many kW's I can pack into a 42U
rack, but for the data center designer, what's the best price point if real
estate is not a significant issue.  Or to say it another way, what kW
density per rack will give me the lowest priced capital and operating cost
per square foot.  Does it really matter if you can only offer 5kW/rack if
you can price it at 80% of the guy who can sells a 10kW/rack product?  Or is
this a tough point for the sales person to make?

While there are certainly customers out there who think along these lines, most of the enterprise customers I've run across in the past who would be in the market for data center colo would just as soon play the how-many-
servers-can-i-jam-into-this-rack game, which is one part of the how-many-racks-can-i-jam-into-this-cage game for some folks...

You might get some traction with the responsible deployment angle, but I could only guess at how much traction...

jms