Re: 10GE router resource

  • From: Kevin Oberman
  • Date: Mon Mar 24 13:10:36 2008

> From: Mark Tinka <[email protected]>
> Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:12:57 +0800
> Sender: [email protected]
>
> On Monday 24 March 2008, user user wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody!
>
> Hello.
>
> > Also I'd love to hear recommendatios for "budget" 10GE
> > routers. The "budget" router would be used to hook up
> > client networks through one 10GE interface and connect
> > to different transit providers through two 10GE
> > interfaces.
>
> Today, from Cisco, the smallest router you'll get a 10Gbps
> Ethernet port on is the Cisco ASR1000 series. Mind you,
> though, FCS for this box isn't until about May. Also, this
> box is oversubscribed as the current switch fabric is
> 10Gbps.
>
> From Juniper, the smallest M-series box you'll get the same
> port on is the M120 platform.
>
> You could also look at smaller switches from both vendors,
> but if you plan on taking full BGP feeds from your upstream
> providers, this might be an issue.

Depending on how the box will be used, Foundry is probably the cheapest,
followed by Force10. Since yo will be connecting to two transit
providers, you probably need the full routing table, but if you don't
need full routes, the new Juniper EX8200 looks like an option. It is
limited to about 12K routes in the FIB. It's not shipping at this time
and I don't know when FSR is scheduled.

Note that F10 does not do MPLS and neither F10 or Foundry has the
software stability of either C or J, so you will need to look closely at
exactly the features needed.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)