Re: do you know how to dump packet to see vlan info

  • From: Bill Nash
  • Date: Wed Mar 19 16:42:41 2008

You can use the 8021q module in linux, and the vlan tools to run an interface as a dot1q trunk. I'm not sure off-hand about the other distributions, but under Debian you just need the 'vlan' package.

modprobe 8021q
ifconfig eth1 up
vconfig add eth1 <vlan id>

Configure your switch port to trunk mode, tag your vlans onto it, et voila.

This will give you a presence in as many broadcast domains as you decide to tag.

- billn