Re: Transition Planning for IPv6 as mandated by the US Govt

  • From: Nathan Ward
  • Date: Mon Mar 17 23:54:33 2008

On 18/03/2008, at 3:34 PM, Andy Dills wrote:
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Nathan Ward wrote:
I'm not selling anything. Code is freely available. When I've got some decent
instructions for it I'll post links to NANOG if you like.
To be fair, it's really nothing more than FreeBSD with a couple of patches,
and Miredo packaged up in a nice-to-deal-with bundle, that means you can plug
it in today and make it work with 2 or 3 lines of config, instead of spending
the next 3 years "engineering a solution" that the various parts of "the
business" agree with - that is, assuming they give their engineers time to
even think about IPv6, let alone engineer for it. Key word: pragmatic.

Perhaps you could integrate your work with a project like pfsense?

From what I've seen, that's the best "open source CPE" solution, and
doesn't yet have real IPv6 support (but has just about everything else).
That would be a huge benefit to the community and potentially open up some
business opportunities for you.

It'd be good if the pfsense guys would do some IPv6 stuff, yes. I however, am not really interested in building CPEs, nor am I interested in building CPEs commercially.

Thanks,

--
Nathan Ward