Re: Operators Penalized? (was Re: Kenyan Route Hijack)

  • From: Suresh Ramasubramanian
  • Date: Mon Mar 17 09:08:59 2008
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=sQhZFW/8n0tD6DAWktSoMsQufNCH6dKCX7fKI4in7ZQ=; b=VNzPrjJdPVPcs38g+MTMNfvU8seODUnIWn8qdSlyN1aHAFgufyqfhmdaLSd1NxTsj/tCEOFROuAUa6dDsZWbb4V/wL8BDHDwxjK4H1frg9yticp4MbCT8q3jghnk6/9ATdq0L3gDFMRBHt9/rT7B9EKNlT/GvsHGWPYz0z2rGBU=

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Glen Kent <[email protected]> wrote:
>  Do ISPs (PTA, AboveNet, etc) that "unintentionally" hijack someone
>  else IP address space, ever get penalized in *any* form? Depending
>  upon whom and what they hijack, and who all get affected, it sure can

PTA's ASN actually did get disconnected for several hours by PCCW
(which was leaking the youtube prefixes that PTA announced, and which
shut off all of PTA's ASN rather than just filtering out the bogus
announcements)

Though, I am not too convinced that wasnt simply laziness at PCCW
rather than a desire to punish PTA

Nobody's blackholed abovenet yet that I know of.  And if they did do
that, they'd feel the effects real soon.

--srs