Re: Routing Loop

  • From: Danny McPherson
  • Date: Sat Mar 15 20:07:05 2008

On Mar 15, 2008, at 4:49 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:

There's also somewhat odd data in RADB (look at the changed: line):

route:         194.9.64.0/19
descr:         SES-Newskies Customer Prefix
origin:        AS16422
remarks:       SES-Newskies Customer Prefix
notify:        [email protected]
mnt-by:        MNT-NWSK
changed:       [email protected] 20080314
source:        ARIN

This is in the middle of RIPE-managed swamp space, a /19 definitely
doesn't belong there.

Yeah, I saw that a bit earlier and it did seem incredibly suspicious
given the timing. Had I seen anything in the routing system itself for
that explicit /19 related to this I would mentioned it, but nothing there.

Amazingly, a query to the NOC at SES Newskies yielded a near-
immediate response, which said they added it a few days back because
they were updating some policies and noticed it existed in a prefix list for
one of their upstreams, that it appeared to be legacy, and that they'd get
it removed.

All the more reason RIR allocation authentication used to seed IRR
information would be of value for routing policy specification, let alone
informational purposes.

-danny