cost of dual-stack vs cost of v6-only [Re: IPv6 on SOHO routers?]

  • From: Pekka Savola
  • Date: Thu Mar 13 09:30:24 2008

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Leo Bicknell wrote:
In a message written on Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 03:06:24PM -0500, Frank Bulk - iNAME wrote:
Furthermore, he stated that networking equipment companies like Cisco will
be moving away from IPv4 in 5 years or so.  This is the first time I've
heard this posited -- I had a hard believing that, but he claims it with
some authority.  Anyone hear anything like this?  My own opinion is that
we'll see dual-stack for at least a decade or two to come.

ISP's are very good at one thing, driving out unnecessary cost. Running dual stack increases cost. While I'm not sure about the 5 year part, I'm sure ISP's will move to disable IPv4 support as soon as the market will let them as a cost saving measure. Runing for "decades" dual stacked does not make a lot of economic sense for all involved.

So, can you elaborate why you think the cost of running dual stack is higher than the cost of spending time&money on beind on the bleeding edge to do v6-only yet supporting v4 for your existing and future customers still wedded to the older IP protocol?