Re: IPv6 on SOHO routers?

  • From: Mark Newton
  • Date: Wed Mar 12 21:14:43 2008

On 13/03/2008, at 11:30 AM, [email protected] wrote:

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:06:24 CDT, Frank Bulk - iNAME said:
Slightly off-topic, but tangentially related that I'll dare to ask.

I'm attending an "Emerging Communications" course where the instructor
stated that there are SOHO routers that natively support IPv6, pointing to
Asia specifically.

Well, of *course* you're more likely to find such SOHO routers in markets where
a SOHO router owner might actually be able to use the feature. But in most
parts of the US, IPv6 support in a SOHO router is right up there with GOSIP
compliance as far as actual usefulness goes...

Yup. If you look at the devices claimed to be IPv6 CPE in Asian markets, they're inevitably Ethernet-only, to be used on networks where the customer is provided with an Ethernet jack in their home or apartment complex.

Those of us who use ADSL or (heaven forbid) Cable are kinda out of luck.
I haven't yet found ADSL2+ CPE that does IPv6 over PPPoE or PPPoA out
of the box.

(Billion in Taiwan has a device which they've stamped an "IPv6 Ready"
sticker onto, but the IPv6 version of the software hasn't left the
confines of their lab yet)

As far as I've been able to determine, IPv6 SOHO CPE is largely
vaporware right now.  And lets not even get started on residential
grade CPE, that doesn't even appear to be on most vendors' radar
_at all_.  If anything useful is going to happen in this space,
my guess is that it'll be with custom Linux firmware running on
a LinkSys blob with no vendor support.

- mark

--
Mark Newton Email: [email protected] (W)
Network Engineer Email: [email protected] (H)