Re: IPv6 on SOHO routers?

  • From: Joel Jaeggli
  • Date: Wed Mar 12 16:27:34 2008

Frank Bulk - iNAME wrote:
Slightly off-topic, but tangentially related that I'll dare to ask.

I'm attending an "Emerging Communications" course where the instructor
stated that there are SOHO routers that natively support IPv6, pointing to
Asia specifically.

Do Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, etc. have such software for the Asian markets?

Get yourself a copy of ipv6style magazine.

http://www.ipv6style.jp

The answer is yes.

Furthermore, he stated that networking equipment companies like Cisco will
be moving away from IPv4 in 5 years or so.  This is the first time I've
heard this posited -- I had a hard believing that, but he claims it with
some authority.  Anyone hear anything like this?  My own opinion is that
we'll see dual-stack for at least a decade or two to come.

That's to say, if you're projecting a particular tipping point in ipv4 vs ipv6 usability then sure that's plausible. there are plenty of divergent opinions on the subject.

Frank