Re: Peering with the Internet Alert Registry

  • From: Josh Karlin
  • Date: Mon Mar 10 22:10:09 2008
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=kDk7EcTNXoLmS5OW8XAfClETmqd0WgHW4L4GDkGzw0o=; b=YLiPLtqvQKM52bX3D3KzyeO4Gzc25Bre/L76y9HyIGodQ6q0rvIrU3tPPv5K316lTSG78OFbLYFhfmUzo2HbhiLOqYLy1WikufgsYh1kWzOSbRGMN+SnYBXYleudezue2+e2/snhReE9T9VGWeeNade4jATIGmyQOYuq7ZSxeqQ=

Chris,

That's a good question.  IAR peers that also wish to run PGBGP will transmit their anomalous routes out of band to the IAR.  This will likely be done via logs and a simple forwarding script.

Josh

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Christopher Morrow <[email protected]> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Josh Karlin <[email protected]> wrote:
> All,
>
> Some of you are aware of the site for network operators:
> http://iar.cs.unm.edu/  which has running for two years now.  The purpose of
> the site is to detect and distribute network anomaly information to the
> network operators that need to know.  The flip side of our proposed security
> system, Pretty Good BGP (PGBGP), lowers the local preference of anomalous
> routes on BGP routers for 24 hours, giving operators time to respond to
> anomalous routes before they can fully propagate.

does pgbgp toss out alerts/snmp-traps/log-messages when these
anomalous announcements arrive? if not, how does one know they are
inside the 24hr window?