Re: Customer-facing ACLs

  • From: Jay Hennigan
  • Date: Sat Mar 08 16:01:43 2008

Dave Pooser wrote:

Half the Mac users? You think? I know a dozen or so sysadmins who use Macs,

[raises hand...]

and about a hundred users who wouldn't know SSH from PCP; I think that's
probably a slightly skewed sample considering I'm a Mac geek who hangs
around with Mac geeks, and I'd guess the consumer users are a larger
percentage of the real-life population.

I was quite surprised to see the large number of Mac laptops at NANOG 42. I didn't do a formal count but it seemed like about 1/4 to 1/3 of the laptops in use were Macs.

I'd expect the number of folks who
want SSH unblocked to be under 1% of a consumer broadband network, and
probably closer to 0.1% or so. And again, it ought to be trivial to let your
users unblock the system, either via phone call or via self-service Web page
(though in the latter case you'd better use a captcha or something so the
bot doesn't automatically unblock itself).

I'm against the slippery slope of blocking ports by default, with the possible exception of SMTP if the provider offers a well-publicized local SMTP server.

Servers that must leave ssh open to the Internet can and should consider using some form of time-out script like this one: http://www.pettingers.org/code/SSHBlack.html

--
Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - [email protected]