Re: Customer-facing ACLs

  • From: Joel Jaeggli
  • Date: Sat Mar 08 00:43:52 2008

Frank Bulk wrote:
The last few spam incidents I measured an outflow of about 2 messages per
second. Does anyone know how aggressive Telnet and SSH scanning is? Even
if it was greater, it's my guess there are many more hosts spewing spam than
there are running abusive telnet and SSH scans.

Judging by the hits on my firewall there's a fair amount of variation
between the scanners that are doing a couple login attempts per hour, and the bot that's making thousands of login attempts with 4 or 5 connection attempts going at a time. We don't filter them till they hit a threshold.

I don't even bother to log telnet attempts anymore so I can't say much about that.

Frank