Re: 3rd party network monitoring

  • From: John A. Kilpatrick
  • Date: Thu Mar 06 17:17:43 2008

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008, Tom Sands wrote:

When we did get a hold of someone, they mentioned they could support simple ICMP requests.

To them "simple" means it's just a ping check. They won't montior/graph/care about latency.

I was pondering creating a "smoke ping collective". Get a bunch of guys to agree to run smokeping and monitor each other. That's a great tool for visualizing changes in latency and works just as well with ICMP as with HTTP.

--
                               John A. Kilpatrick
[email protected]                Email|     http://www.hypergeek.net/