Re: ISP's who where affected by the misconfiguration: start using IRR and checking your BGP updates (Was: YouTube IP Hijacking)

  • From: Ross Vandegrift
  • Date: Mon Feb 25 11:23:38 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 09:28:47AM -0500, Jon Lewis wrote:
> I've only dealt with a handful of the bigger networks, but every transit
> BGP session I've ever been the customer role on has been filtered by the
> provider.  From memory and in no particular order, that's UUNet, Level3,
> Digex, Intermedia, Global Crossing, Genuity, Sprint, Above.net, Time
> Warner, C&W, MCI, XO, Broadwing, and a few smaller ones nobody's likely to
> have heard of.

We take transit from some of these providers, and I we have a slightly
different experience.  While it's not quite a free-for-all, some have
implemented a limit on the number of announced prefixes without any
restriction to specific space.

We found this out after AboveNet dampened us for announcing too many
routes.  No one there could ever produce any substantial evidence of
that, or provide us a single example of one of these routes - but we
were told it was strictly the number of prefixes that mattered.

I know that I provide newly assigned prefixes to our providers, which
includes PCCW.  If those make it into a prefix-list at PCCW though,
I don't really know for sure.

--
Ross Vandegrift
[email protected]