Re: ISP's who where affected by the misconfiguration: start using IRR and checking your BGP updates (Was: YouTube IP Hijacking)

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Sun Feb 24 18:25:46 2008

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008, Jeroen Massar wrote:

* Routing Registry checking, as per the above two
 rr.arin.net & whois.ripe.net contains all the data you need
 Networks who are not in there are simply not important enough to
 exist on the internet as clearly those ops folks don't care about
 their network...

For us who actually have customers we care about, we probably find it better for business to try to make sure our own customers can't announce prefixes they don't own, but accept basically anything from the world that isn't ours.

Using pure RR based filtering just isn't cost efficient today, as these borks (unintentional mostly) we see sometimes are few and fairly far between, but problems due to wrong or missing information in the RRs is plentyful and constant.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]