Re: IPV4 as a Commodity for Profit

  • From: Roland Perry
  • Date: Fri Feb 22 04:27:46 2008

In article <[email protected]>, Tom Vest <[email protected]> writes
My prediction is that when the handful of mega-ISPs are unable to get the massive quantities of IPv4 addresses they need (a few dozen account for 90% of all consumption in the ARIN region)...

I keep reading assertions like this. Is there any public, authoritative evidence to support this claim?
If there is, is this 90% figure a new development, or rather the product of changes in ownership (e.g., MCI-VZ-UU, SBC-ATT, etc.), changes in behavior (a run on the bank), some combination of the two, or something else altogether?

I would not be surprised to learn that "consumption in the ARIN region" includes all the legacy assignments. So the quoted metric may well be true, but as unhelpful as claiming that "MIT has more address space than the whole of China" (as some people do from time to time).

In the current context, just because they have received large allocations in the past, does not mean these few dozen ISPs will necessarily need similarly large new ipv4 allocations in future.

Operational comment: Look on the bright side, they may follow Comcast's example and deploy ipv6 instead!
--
Roland Perry