Re: 2008.02.20 NANOG 42 IPv4 PTR queries for unallocated space

  • From: Andy Davidson
  • Date: Thu Feb 21 05:39:44 2008

On 21 Feb 2008, at 09:51, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

For instance, I do a training course where people need to configure routers, and I use addresses out of 96.0.0.0/8 for that, because it has to be clear that we're talking about real addresses and not RFC 1918 stuff.

Do you think you could consider some of the rfc3330 ranges like TEST- NET - 192.0.2.0/24 - or if you need more than one network, 191.255.0.0/16 ?

Would it be useful for IANA to publish the order in which they're going to allocate /8s? That way, it's easier for people to plan getting out of the way of real deployment in time.

Well it's a pretty safe bet that most of today's unused /8s will be allocated within the next couple of years !

Best wishes,
Andy