Re: IPV4 as a Commodity for Profit

  • From: John Curran
  • Date: Tue Feb 19 20:11:07 2008

At 3:39 PM -0800 2/19/08, David Conrad wrote:
>Perhaps we could agree that not doing something until it is too late would be bad?

Absolutely.  Quite a few things are being done (hopefully
not too late) including looking into a more flexible transfer
policy and encouraging return of IP space which is no longer
needed.

You asked what "incentive to a holder of early allocations is
there to return address space voluntarily?"

The first answer ("it's the right thing to do") has clearly worked
in some cases).   A second answer ("because it's required by
RFC 2050 if the addresses are not needed") is also available,
presuming that the community wish that to be the rule.  As
you stated quite clearly, ultimately the control is vested in
the ISPs who decide what is routed or not routed.

/John