Re: IPV4 as a Commodity for Profit

  • From: Joe Maimon
  • Date: Tue Feb 19 14:14:42 2008

Owen DeLong wrote:

This would create significant legal challenges and costs.

I dont understand how they could prevail. Suppose I decided to tell people that as far as I was concerned this 32 bit number up to that 32bit number would be available for their use in whatever manner they wanted, like printing them on t-shirts, and that they would have the privilege of paying me for the guarantee that I would do so uniquely.

Barring a prior agreement, what grounds does any third party have to object?

For that matter, aside from consensus and inertia, what would stop the operator community as a whole from setting up shop with a "forked" registry that had no contractual agreements with anybody prior?