Re: IBM report reviews Internet crime

  • From: Florian Weimer
  • Date: Tue Feb 12 14:52:47 2008

* Owen DeLong:

> If the vulnerability cannot be corrected through a vendor patch, then,
> one has to wonder what, exactly the vulnerability is.

You assume that a vendor patches a vulnerability once they learn about
it.  In my experience, this is not true.  Sometimes it's easy to explain
(product or vendor ceased to exist), sometimes it's not (some cross-site
scripting issues I'm trying to straighten out; minor bugs to you
perhaps, but huge media exposure because of their visibility and
reproducibility--think FDIV bug).