Re: [nanog] Re: Network Notifcation - SMS via Verizon

  • From: Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET
  • Date: Mon Feb 11 08:58:21 2008

>     The other side of this besides the delayed receiving of messages is
> with monitoring you want to get the alerts even if your network is down
> and unable to send via email to your pager, cellphone, etc. Having an
> out of band method to get those alerts out on criticial alerts is
> paramount. I've used Nagios for many years but unfortunately have never
> worked with sending through Verizon. I've had decent experience using
> Sprint's gateways sending to my phone with minimal delay.

	Our solution, crufty as it might be, was that our monitoring
server has a modem on it. As long as the pots lines are up, we just
have it ring the on-call cell phone. When you see the caller ID, you
know its time to get to a terminal. Usually our [email protected] would
follow 10-15 seconds later.

		Tuc/TBOH