Re: Repotting report

  • From: Pekka Savola
  • Date: Tue Feb 05 02:19:01 2008

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Leo Bicknell wrote:
may try "dig any . @[a-m].root-servers.net."

When I do that, I get the following response:

a, c, d e, f, g, i and j return 1 SOA, 8 A, and 3 AAAA's (the first 3).
b, h, l, k, and m return 1 SOA, 13 A, no AAAA records.

If you make this mistake you might think b, h, l, k and m have no
IPv6 data, which is wrong.  Querying with NS (as nameserver would
do) clearly shows that.

While a cosmetic problem, I fear it may confuse a number of admins
as the troubleshoot problems in the near future.

It certainly will. Section 1.4 of RFC 4472 may be helpful here, though it mainly talks about this from the viewpoint of caching, not root servers.