RE: [admin] Re: Fourth cable damaged in Middle Eest (Qatar to UAE)

  • From: Rod Beck
  • Date: Mon Feb 04 12:51:19 2008

Title: RE: [admin] Re: Fourth cable damaged in Middle Eest (Qatar to UAE)

I have not looked at a map. My guess is that most of these cables are linear - point-to-point.

Obviously a more robust architecture is a ring. All TransAtlantic cables are rings, but can you justify the economic cost of a ring architecture to serve relatively small countries? Hmm ...

Despite the needless worrying about terrorism, the single most important factor is how well a cable is buried.

Deeper is better and more expensive.

To bury a cable, you dig a deep trench, drop the cable in it, and let Nature cover it. Nature is very good at doing so ...

Roderick S. Beck
Director of European Sales
Hibernia Atlantic
1, Passage du Chantier, 75012 Paris