Re: [admin] Re: Fourth cable damaged in Middle Eest (Qatar to UAE)

  • From: Kee Hinckley
  • Date: Mon Feb 04 12:13:01 2008

On Feb 4, 2008, at 4:29 AM, Alex Pilosov wrote:
This conversation is quickly spinning into discussion of politics and
terrorism.

Reminder to all, please stick to the *operational* aspects of this thread.

In all the fuss about terrorism, people may be forgetting that the terrorists have goals *other* than terrorism, and one of those is reducing the influence of the West over the Middle East. Removing internet connections certainly is an effective (and probably necessary) step in that direction. Even if this was accidental, it will have made them more aware of the possibility.

Which leads me to my operational question.

If you know that someone wants to cut your cables. What defense do you have? Is there any practical way to monitor and protect an oceanic cable? Are there ways to build them that would make them less discoverable? Some way to provide redundancy? A non-physical solution involving underwater repeaters? Or is this like pipelines in Iraq?