RE: Blackholes and IXs and Completing the Attack.

  • From: Ben Butler
  • Date: Sun Feb 03 08:33:28 2008

Hi,

I am no lawyer, but I question whether ATT can patent anything that uses
the existing technology and commands implemented in BGP.  The idea that
you can patent a persons intent in advertising a prefix in BGP seems
somewhat bizarre.  Surely a patent relates to the use of a new bit of
technology that they have developed.

Btw, I think I might be a good idea to do all sort of things, that
doesn't mean I can file legally enforceable patents in case someone in
the future shares my point of view.

With regards to:

"A better approach would be to move your DDOS target and all the rest of
its co-subnet hosts into a different /24, update the DNS RRs, and cease
advertising that /24."

I just think you don't get it. Apart from the impracticality of
renumbering all the other non-effected hosts in the same /24 and all the
associated DNS records and the amount of time that is going to take.
Plus then announce another /24 for the renumbered hosts. You are are
saying that I should de-aggregate the /19 announcement into components
so that I can stop advertising the original /24 - because your worried
about route table prefix pollution!!!!

If I blackhole a /32 to my transits, it does not appear in your routing
table.  If I blackhole a /32 to one of my peers and you are not even at
the same IX, then there is no change of it appearing in your route table
either.  Conversely you seem to be suggesting I announce a bunch of
prefixes to everyone?

Kind Regards

Ben