Re: IPv6 Connectivity Saga (part n+1)

  • From: Michael Sinatra
  • Date: Sat Feb 02 19:24:49 2008

Thomas KÃhne wrote:
On Saturday February 2 2008, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
On 2 feb 2008, at 11:42, Thomas KÃhne wrote:
I took a DMOZ[1] dump
What's a DMOZ dump?

DMOZ: http://www.dmoz.org/about.html # The Open Directory Project is the largest, most comprehensive human-edited # directory of the Web. It is constructed and maintained by a vast, global # community of volunteer editors.

A DMOZ dump is the complete data set including directory structure, links and
descriptions. I've use this source because other lists are either too small or
contain a lot of spam.

I'd like to hear more about the methods that led to your summary, and, if possible, take a look at the raw data. It sounds to me like you took the dump file and parsed it so that all of the URLs could be sorted by domain. Did you then do DNS lookups on each domain name (or hostname?) and see how many had AAAA records? Did you also look at NS records (I am assuming you did)? I understand what TLDs and NSes are, but I don't quite know what you mean when you say things like "thus a cross check via TLDs' NS."

As for raw data, at the very least, it would be useful to get a list of the resources that have some form of IPv6 brokenness, so that those of us who would actually like to provide our information resources over both IPv4 and IPv6 can get to work on fixing it.

I personally am concerned that there are some islands of poor v6 connectivity out there that are having problems reaching v6 resources, even though other parts of the v6 world are able to reach those resources just fine. Because we may only be able to test from "good" v6 locations, we can't see what's wrong at the "bad" v6 locations.

michael