RE: Blackholes and IXs and Completing the Attack.

  • From: Ben Butler
  • Date: Sat Feb 02 17:59:35 2008

 Hi,

"i explained why this is bad -- it lowers the attacker's costs in what
amounts to an economics war.  they can get a web site taken down by its
own provider just by attacking it.  they need fewer resources for their
attack once they know the provider's going to blackhole the victim."

I thought the cold war nuclear arms race had shown up to be truly MAD.
Who is paying for this ever escalating capacity of infrastructure as a
way to survive large DoS attacks.

Smaller attacks can be absorbed, but I really cant see a strategy of
endlessly upgrading network router and WAN infrastructure to ensure
enough head room ideal capacity is a particularly economically sensible
approach to the problem.

Ben