Re: Sicily to Egypt undersea cable disruption

  • From: Jim Mercer
  • Date: Sat Feb 02 03:00:15 2008

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 10:56:26PM +0000, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 22:42:02 -0000
> "Rod Beck" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Well, when you have all these cables running through narrow straits
> > or converging to the same stretch of beach, it does not strike me as
> > at all extraordinary.
>
> But they aren't near each other.
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/31/business/worldbusiness/31cable.html
> says that the first two cuts were in the Mediterranean, near Marseille
> and Alexandria; the third was in the Persian Gulf, near Dubai
> (http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/technology/AP-Internet-Outages.html).

beings as i live in dubai, i can also add that over the last two days there
have been some quite strong winds blowing.  which i supposed could be a factor
in a ship dragging its anchor across a fiber path.

--
Jim Mercer        [email protected]        +971 55 410-5633
"I'm Prime Minister of Canada, I live here and I'm going to take a leak."