Re: Sicily to Egypt undersea cable disruption

  • From: George William Herbert
  • Date: Fri Feb 01 21:11:59 2008

>Actually, last year, Scotland Yard claimed Al Qaeda planned on
>blowing up one of the Telehouse facilities in the UK

And, significantly, AQ would benefit from a telecommunications
(and other things) disconnect from the West to the Middle East,
in both tactical and strategic senses.

However, despite the "attractive target" angle of what got busted,
and the proximity of the breaks to Islamic Terrorist problem spots,
I don't see a statistical or evidentiary case made that these were
anything but the usual occasional strings of normal random problems
spiking up at the same time.

Another one in the region, or evidence from any of the cuts that it
was not an accident, would start yellow lights flashing in my mind,
but we're not there yet.

-george william herbert
[email protected]